Saturday 18 July 2015

My Thoughts On: Ant-Man (#54)

Hey, how ya doin'!

Welcome to a new section of my blog that I literally just came up with. I call it, 'My Thoughts On'. From the title of this idea you can probably hazard a guess at the type of content a 'My Thoughts On' post will contain, but for those who can't tell, these posts will be about what I think and my reactions to something that I just experienced for the first time, especially something that I've been excited for. To give a better idea, I'm talking about what I think about a film or a video game that I watched or played for the first time, and usually the film or game (or it could be a comic book or a book or something) will be something I've been waiting for for a while. I think you'll understand it better from what comes next in this post.

A few minutes ago, I just got back from Cineworld where I watched Ant-Man, the final film in the second phase of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe... but you should know this by now), which you probably know since I've made quite a few posts about this by now. Now, the film was great, but I don't really need to say that because, c'mon, it's an MCU film, they're always great. Obviously, I knew that I would talk about the film on my blog, being a big thing to me and important to Awesome Fantasy News since this blog is largely about Marvel, Nintendo, Star Wars, etc. Okay, so let's get into detail about my thoughts on Ant-Man (see what I did there......?).

Oh, and, obviously, spoiler warning for those who haven't watched the film, plot details and spoilers may (and probably will) follow below. Read below at your own risk if you haven't watched Ant-Man (go watch it now!!!).

As I've said, Ant-Man was great. No... more like amazing. I'd say I enjoyed it as much as Avengers: Age of Ultron and Guardians of the Galaxy. Speaking of GotG, I think that film and this one are very similar in the fact that they're both MCU films (both Phase 2 as well) that, in the comics, are popular, but aren't really as famous as superheroes like Spider-Man and the Avengers. They both are films that many non-comic readers hadn't heard of at all before their films, but, thanks to the magic of Marvel Studios, are now as big as Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man (well, I suppose we don't really know how popular Ant-Man will be yet, but let's be honest, it's guaranteed to be a big thing).



So, why do I think the film was good? The humour is definitely a part of it. Again, it's similar to GotG in that it's serious like other superhero movies, but also has a larger variety of funny situations and jokes. So it's an superhero/sci-fi film but also a comedy too. And the action scenes... oh my God, the action scenes. Absolutely amazing. Basically (this is the last spoiler warning you're getting), when Scott Lang first puts on Hank Pym's Ant-Man suit and is about to shrink down, he's standing in a bathtub. So when he becomes small, he falls down through the air to the base of the tub and, because he's so tiny, the bathtub looks enormous to him. One of his flatmates turns the tap on (Scott's too small to be seen by him) so Anty ends up running for his life from the water coming from the tap which is like an ocean to him as a result of his new size. Throughout the film, Lang's view on the world when he's the size of an insect is explored, and is one of my favourite things about the movie. People dancing at a party become deadly to Scott as he tries to not get stepped on by their shoes (although his strength increases greatly when he shrinks, kind of like a bullet), the metal tops of drinks cans make loud clangs when they hit the ground, and keyholes become an easy way to break into anywhere.



This brings me to the fighting scenes; the fighting with Yellowjacket (the supervillain of the film who tries to use the Pym Particle technology for his own benefit, very similar to Iron Monger/Obadiah Stane from Iron Man 1) is some of the coolest battling I've ever seen in a movie. At first, the two miniscule but deadly men fight in a suitcase falling from a helicopter. There's an iPhone in there, and one of the two hits the microphone button with his feet, causing Siri to open. Yellowjacket threatens Ant-Man, but Siri misunderstands what Yellowjacket is saying (I can't remember exactly what he says but it's something along the lines of 'I will disintegrate you!' or something) and plays one of the songs on the iPhone while the two continue to fight. The last fight scene is just fantastic. A-M and YJ fight in Scott's daughter Cassie's room. I know what you're thinking. What? A final fight scene in a little girl's bedroom? But Marvel manage to make it epic, as they dodge each other's deadly attacks while riding on top of a toy train set of Thomas The Tank Engine. Eventually, an enlarging disc (I don't know if there's an actual name) is thrown at Thomas (not me, haha) and he becomes so big that he destroys the roof of the house. It's pretty brilliant.



I don't think there are any plans for a sequel yet, but I sure hope so. Ant-Man will be back for sure though, as in the credits there is a message reading 'Ant-Man will return'. Speaking of which, anybody who watches should stick around until the very end of the credits, since there are two credits scenes, as I've written before. These scenes feature Captain America and Falcon, as well as Bucky(!), if only briefly. Oh, and Falcon also appears in the main film, when he and Ant-Man fight. Nice to see the MCU really coming together even more.



That's that for now. Check out this film if you're into Marvel, heroes, action, comedy, and films in general. And if you've also seen the film, what did you think?

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment