Sunday 29 May 2016

My Thoughts On: X-Men Apocalypse (#199)

So it's been over a week now since I saw X-Men: Apocalypse, and even though I'm not going to say loads about it (I know I always say that but I really mean it this time) I will start by saying that, like Batman V Superman, I think it is a lot better than all the reviews say. I will agree that BvS was a little boring at times and sometimes the plot really confused me but with Apocalypse I felt very satisfied and psyched after walking out of the cinema and was actually very surprised to find out that the film had been received negatively, especially since I think all the X-Men films have been really great since First Class. Yes, I really like the Wolverine, and I don't get why so many people dislike it. I'll talk about Apocalypse below, so as per usual, spoilers.

As I said this isn't going to be very long. I just want to talk about my favourite parts and some other things. So as I actually spoke about in a recent post concerning Quicksilver, one of my favourite scenes from Days of Future Past was when time slows down as Quicksilver runs around a prison room causing mayhem, while the quaint song 'Time in a Bottle' plays. I was really hoping that there's be another one of those in this film, and to my delight, there was! Quicksilver runs around the X-Mansion saving lots of the students as it explodes. I'm pretty sure those are the details anyway, it's been over a week since I've watched it and I've forgotten a fair bit of the events that happen but I'm hopefully gonna watch it again in a few weeks. During this Quicksilver scene, a song plays, like in DOFP. The song is called 'Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This), and it is FRICKIN' AWESOME. Seriously, I don't know what it is about that song but my friend and I are addicted to it. We downloaded it after finding out its name when we got home from the cinema last Saturday and have both listened to it at least once a day since.

Wolverine's cameo as teased in one of the trailers was also really nice. See, the film was set in the 1980s I think, and in X-Men 2, we learn that in the past Wolverine was kept captive at a Weapon X base by William Stryker. Well, in the film our main characters also end up at this same facility, where Wolverine is set free by Jean Grey in a really touching little scene. Also, something quite funny is when Cyclops says something like 'Hope we never see that guy again', which is a bit of dramatic irony paired with the fact that Scott and Logan become tense rivals over Jean in the future. Well maybe, the X-Men timeline is kinda messed up now but I think it's for the best because the recent films are better than the old ones in several ways I think.

When the film ended and the credits were rolling by, a lot of people left the cinema. As you know, films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe always have at least one post/mid credits scene, but the X-Men films are made by Fox and not Marvel Studios. However, we stayed until the very end just in case, especially since I remembered that the Wolverine, Deadpool and DOFP all had credits scenes, and thankfully, we were right to stay. There was a scene where some people in business suits went to the Weapon X facility and I think took some blood samples (I could be remembering wrong). Now, there was a company shown here with the name 'Essex Corp'. I first I was really confused until it snapped in my head; there's a guy from the comic books called Nathaniel Essex, A.K.A. the villain Mr Sinister. So he'll probably be in Wolverine 3 or the next main X-Men movie if they're making one. In fact I also think Sinister is one of Apocalypse's followers or something, so it makes sense.



Anyway those are my main thoughts on the movie. What about you? It only came out two days ago in America but do you hate it like a lot of the critics or are you confused over the dislike?

Thomas

P.S: The next post is number two hundred!

No comments:

Post a Comment