Friday 6 May 2016

My Thoughts On: Captain America 3 (#190)

So, it's been almost a week since I watched Captain America: Civil War on Saturday last week, and I'm sure those of you who read this blog might be wondering why I haven't mentioned it yet. It's mainly since I've had quite a few other posts that I've wanted to make, so yeah. Also, this won't be an enormous 'My Thoughts On' like with Batman V. Superman, but I will still be talking deeply about the movie's plot details, so seriously, if you haven't watched Captain America 3, stop reading now. I repeat: If you haven't watched the new Captain America film and care about spoilers, stop reading now.

So, like I said, this probably isn't going to be a massive My Thoughts On, so don't expect like a giant review or anything, just some of the things that I thought about the film. I want to start with what I think my (and pretty much all of my friends') favourite moment/scene of the movie was: the airport scene. Yes, I'm talking about that awesome scene from the trailers where Cap's team and Iron Man's team finally get to face off in close combat, and it was just so fantastic in the film. The thing that really made it special was the fact that, since the Marvel Cinematic Universe started eight years ago in 2008, we've come so far since that original Iron Man film. I mean, with Civil War, we're already starting phase 3 of the MCU, and the airport scene is just so great because of all the different characters. On Tony's team we have Iron Man, War Machine, Black Panther, Black Widow, Vision and Spider-Man, whereas on Steve's team we've got Captain America, The Winter Soldier (AKA Bucky), Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Falcon and Ant-Man. All these amazing Marvel superheroes, straight from the comics, and they're all here fighting together on the big screen. Plus, characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor and Hulk aren't even in this, yet there's still such a wide cast of superheroes.

Speaking of Ant-Man, possibly the most memorable part of the whole scene involved good ol' Scott Lang. Scott started talking about how he had been testing some kind of new ability in his lab (or something like that, I can't remember the exact quote, of course) and then Ant-Man, just like that, grew massively in size to become Giant Man. It was a big surprise for me (haw haw haw unintentional pun), especially since I really wasn't expecting it and I thought that if Ant-Man was to become Giant Man in the MCU it would be in his upcoming sequel film, Ant-Man and the Wasp. But nah, it was right there in Cap 3, and to be honest, I'm really glad about it. They kept adding such fresh and new ideas during that whole scene and I loved it. It only got better when Spider-Man started fighting Giant Man, and made a Star Wars reference. Spidey used his webs to tie up the legs of the formidable giant, and said something along the lines of, "You remember that film, Empire Strikes Back? Remember the part where they tied together the legs of those giant walking things?" Pete was of course referring to the AT-ATs on Hoth, and as you'll remember from Star Wars Episode V if you've seen it, one of the X-Wing fliers (I think it might have been Luke) uses a grappling rope to tangle the AT-AT's legs together, making it fall. And that's exactly what Spidey does with Giant Man.

I made this picture extra large so that it would accurately reflect the person featured in it. Also I need to make this caption long to fully fit the length of the pic. :)

The main villain of the film that was pulling some strings behind the scenes while the heroes were duking it out was Baron Zemo (basically like Lex Luthor in Batman V. Superman, but, well, cooler and better in the film). I've heard of Baron Zemo from the comics, but not very much and I don't really remember ever reading any comics with Zemo in them. Plus, since I wanted to keep all of the main events as secret as possible to me before watching Civil War, I tried my best to avoid any news or information about the film online, so all I really knew was that I'd heard Zemo would be in the film. However, Zemo really made things tense between Cap, Iron Man and Bucky when he used a video to reveal that Bucky, in December 1991, when being forced to do things unwillingly as the Winter Soldier, was actually the one who had killed Tony's parents, Howard and Maria Stark. I have to say, I thought for sure one of the trio would die here, and I thought it could be any of the three considering the situation. In fact, when Cap shoved his shield into Iron Man's chest in the final moments of that last fight scene, I actually thought Tony might have died. He didn't however, which makes sense considering that Steve would never kill anybody, let alone one of his former close friends (although I thought maybe he could kill Tony by accident). Then again, I forgot that Iron Man has been confirmed to appear in Spider-Man: Homecoming, so that kinda confirmed that Tony wouldn't die in Civil War. Still, I definitely thought Cap or Bucky would die, but nope, apart from a few minor characters, there were no deaths in the movie. I thought Rhodes had died after seeing that one part in the trailer when Tony was holding his unconscious body in a field, but nah. He kinda can't walk now though. Not without crutches, I think. I'm kind of glad that no main heroes died though; I want them to save that for around Infinity War Part 1 and 2. It would make the most sence since Thanos can easily swoop into the scene and obliterate them, and I think it's much, much better to say farewell to characters like Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, and all of the main Avengers really, in the last proper films in the Avengers series. I think a lot of people would agree with me there.

Baron-ster to the Z, played by Daniel Brühl.

Anyway thanks for reading this post, I told you it wouldn't be very long, just a couple highlights. If you haven't already seen the film, go watch it now, even if you don't really like Marvel. Then again, if you haven't already seen the film, why would you be reading this far down after the spoiler warning? Could it be that you haven't seen the film but still don't care about spoiling the whole thing? You sicken me.

Joking, but c'mon, man.

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment