Wednesday 11 May 2016

Free Comic Book Day 2016! (#193)

So here in the UK and in the US (and I'm pretty sure it's in a lot of other places too) we have this thing called Free Comic Book Day. I'd never actually been to one before but I'd heard of it a few times. It's always the first Saturday in May every year, so this year it was May 7th. The night before, my friend Jamie (I've mentioned him before in post #151 as 'The Ginger') messaged me and asked me if I wanted to go to our local comic shop in the city and get some comics the next day and I said sure, because, well, they're free. Well, there were also some other things that we bought with our money, but yeah. We went together to my first Free Comic Book Day and I loved it so much.

There were two main comic book shops in the city and they were really close to each other. We went to both a couple times and Jamie got a nice little selection of comic books, several of which were Star Wars issues. I got a nice little mixture: as for the free comic books, I got a Marvel Civil War II prologue issue, a copy of FCBD Captain America #1, and some free comics for some of my friends, including two copies of a Legend of Korra comic, a One Punch Man manga comic, and a DC Superhero Girls comic for one of my friends' younger sister (she loved it). I also took a lot of money I saved up so I was able to get three Zelda manga books (Ocarina of Time Part 1, Majora's Mask and the Minish Cap) as well as the first volume of a Kingdom Hearts Final Mix manga, which is actually quite a bit longer than your average manga volume. I'm going to start reading it after I've properly started Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for PS3, which won't be for about a week or so since I'm starting Sonic Generations this weekend. I also was really happy to find a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog #280. I've known about the Sonic comic for years but never actually seen one in a store before, but I got a copy of that. The story arc at the moment is actually based off Sonic Unleashed which I only completed two days ago. I also got a copy of its sister comic, Sonic Universe #83. I've decided that I'm gonna try to start collecting both comics, but since I haven't read all the previous issues, I'm gonna read them online then read the issues that I get physical copies of in the next few months, if you understand.

My haul from the day. The Iron Man thing in the
top left is something I got a few days before.

Free Comic Book Day was such a great time. I definitely wanna go with a friend again next year.

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment