Friday 2 October 2015

Thank You, Chuggaaconroy (#116)

Two posts ago I talked about a let's player on YouTube who's currently doing a let's play of Pikmin 3, which is why I was inspired to try playing the game again. His name is Chuggaaconroy, and his channel can be found here. I'm not going to say a ton about Emile (that's his real name), but I'd just like to use this post to thank him. He's the first let's player (somebody who makes video walkthroughs of games while commentating) I ever watched on YouTube, and I even remember the first video of his I ever watched: the first episode of his Super Mario Sunshine LP. It was about four to five years ago, and at the time I'd never heard of it and was amazed to see a Mario game with voice acting, even though I know now that it's nothing big or special.

Funny story, back then, when I clicked on that video, I had never watched video game footage with commentary, and I actually found it really annoying and wished that nobody was talking when I was trying to pay attention to the game. Ironic thing is, nowadays it's the opposite. I find it pretty boring to watch any walkthroughs of video games on the internet without commentary, and just don't watch any of those unless it's to help me find something in a game or whatever. Emile has also introduced me to an absolute crud load of games through his let's plays. There's Paper Mario, which I bought when I was about 10 after seeing his LP. I had never heard of Paper Mario before (well, I had, but since I was so dumb when I was young I thought it would be a black and white game set like an actual piece of paper from a notebook...), and I thought it looked really cool. That also led to me buying Sticker Star when it came out (even though it was pretty disappointing), getting Super Paper Mario for my birthday (he did an LP of that too) after finally finding it in a store in April 2013 and, last September (2014), getting The Thousand Year Door (again, he LPed that) due to wanting it for years. I also have an online friend called Megan who completely ADORES that game so much, and for good reason.

He changes his logo for each LP to match that game's style. As
I mentioned, right now he's playing Pikmin 3.
Edit 11/08/2016: I actually just realised that this logo actually changes
along with his channel picture! So the logo in this picture is the one on
his channel right now. As I make this edit, it's Luigi's Mansion 2.

Some other games I got because of Emile are Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Earthbound, Mother 3 (I know that's not a game I can 'get' here but you know what I mean, he's the reason I played it),  Kid Icarus: Uprising, and, most recently, Okami. It's likely that I'll get Okamiden in the future too.

I've even adopted a lot of Chuggaa's personality traits and the way he sees life. This one kid in my school who's one or two years younger than me (I don't really know him but he's the younger brother of a girl in my year) calls me Chuggaaconroy Jr, haha. I just tend to share the same humor and think of things, especially video games, in the same way as him after watching so many of his videos. So yes. Thanks, Emile.

He's known for his bad puns and high optimism. Remind
you of anyone? ;)

Anyway, the nunchuck came yesterday. And it works! Thank god, now I can play Okami. Speaking of which, I'm about three and a half hours into it, and it's really nice so far. I don't have much to say about it now since I hear it's a fairly long game so I've barely started it, but I'll likely talk about it a little in the future.

We're entering October, the fifth month of this blog. Nice nice.

Thomas


No comments:

Post a Comment