Sunday 11 October 2015

Kart Attack (#121)

First of all, sorry for not posting much this month. Don't mean to neglect the blog but this is a thing that will happen since I don't want to just make posts about boring things, and since there's sometmes not much to talk about there won't be many updates sometimes. The most I would ever go without posting is 5 days, which sounds a lot but that's more worst case scenario.

Okay, so this is that letter that I sent to Official Nintendo Magazine a couple years ago that I was talking about very recently. It was issue 80, and it was an email I sent a couple months before that issue about ideas for Mario Kart 8 (Mario Kart 8 hadn't been confirmed at the time and I think barely anything was known about the Wii U, but we of course assumed there would be an MK8 since Mario Kart 7 had come out not too long before). I kind of forgot about the email until I was reading through the 'Inbox' section of that issue when it came out a few months later and saw my name. It was pretty surprising and I was really happy and excited at the time. A picture (well, two, since it crossed over to the right of the page) of the published email can be seen below, and I'll say what I wrote in it underneath the photos. You'll have to tilt your head sideways a little. :3 (Or just read underneath them, I don't know.)



The email reads: 'My friend and I recently decided what should go in the next Mario Kart. There should be new characters like Goomba, Luma and Petey Piranha. There could be new cars (and maybe bikes) that we'd call the Speed Stomper, Red Plunger and Growler (a car with giant wheels and a wide seat. As for new items, the Ice Flower would freeze all other racers for about five or six seconds, and you would get it when you were in about 7th or 8th place. The Super Guide block (from New Super Mario Bros Wii) would give a random racer a random item, depending on what place they are in. You could get the item while you were in first or second place, and it would encourage you to work harder to stay in front. We haven't thought a lot about courses yet. Anyway, just though you ought to know.' -- Thomas Mullen, via email.

So yeah, there it is. They edited it a little, probably corrected grammar mistakes since I was 10ish at the time and put the words 'New Super Mario Bros Wii' in italics since it's the name of a game. If you're wondering who the friend I talk about in the email is, he's somebody I used to see every weekend but haven't seen for like four years called Jaden. Not to be confused with my current close friend Jaden. I also love how ONM chose to use the name Kart Attack as the title. I didn't even include that in my email; they made that pun up themselves. Genius.

Expect actual news (OMG WHAT?) coming on this blog in the next couple posts at least. I really need to actually stay true to the name 'Awesome Fantasy News' for once... xD

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment