Wednesday 21 October 2015

Back To The Future Day (#129)

In case you didn't already hear, today is officially Back To The Future Day! In Back to the Future Part II, Marty McFly and Emmett Brown (the doc) travel thirty years in the future from 1989 to October 21st 2015. Which is today! So yes, the date that this blog posts goes up is the exact date that the famous pair travel to in the future. It's really interesting to see what people back in 1989 (the first BTTF was released in 1985, BTTF 2 came out in '89 and I believe BTTF 3 came out in '90) thought 2015 would be like. Unfortunately, we don't have flying cars, hoverboards or 3D holographic Jaws 19 advertisements, but they didn't completely miss the mark. We do have 3D movies and even more immersive experiences such as 4D film, plus even though we don't exactly have that insta-pizza seen in Marty's 2015 home we do have faster food preparation methods that are at least a bit similar. And I'm pretty sure Nike are making those self-lacing shoes (seriously).



Interesting fact: I originally wanted this date to coincide with post #121 so I could have the post number be a reference to the topic at hand. Like with post #101 being about the Wonderful 101, I wanted this to be #121 so I could make the '1.21 JIGGAWATTS?!' joke from the first BTTF movie. But I didn't want to delay posts just to make that happen. Yeah, believe it or not it's not because I forgot...

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some
serious NO SWEARING BECAUSE THIS IS A FAMILY
FRIENDLY BLOG. Although I love this line in the film.

By the way, the exact time that Doc and Marty arrive on this date in the movie is 16:29. That time has already passed here in the UK and unfortunately I couldn't see a flying DeLorean in the sky, but it'll be a couple hours until that time hits in various parts of America. I'll probably be asleep by the time 16:29 falls over there, but hopefully they'll get lucky and be paid a visit by a younger Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd?

I also now realise that I should've wrote this post earlier and uploaded it at exactly 16:29. That would've been really special. Damn...

RUN FOR IT, MARTY!

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment