Friday 11 September 2015

The Wonderful Post 101 (#101)

The game I'm about to talk about in this post is actually a pretty amazing game that I don't think I've ever mentioned, even in my introduction when I talked about all the games I liked (which was exactly 100 posts ago, wow). I might have, but I'm pretty sure it just slipped my mind. But anyway, since this is post 101, I think this would be a very fitting time to have a little talk about one of my favourite Wii U games, The Wonderful 101.



When Mario Kart 8 came out last year on 30th May 2014 (still can't believe it's been like one and a half years already), you could actually get another free Wii U game with it if you bought the game within a certain amount of time after it came out (think it was about two months). Well, okay, you had to choose out of ten games, but from what I remember they were all pretty good games, or at least alright. I know that one of them was Pikmin 3, but I didn't get that because I wasn't really interested in Pikmin and I hadn't played either of the first two (I became interested in that around October to November last year after my friend showed me the Pikmin 3 demo. But I accidentally ruined it for him because I kept talking about how good it was nonstop. Oops).

Aww, so cute and innocent right? No. They're evil and
bloodthirsty and kill anything that moves.
Anyway, one of the other games was called The Wonderful 101, which my online friend Kane said I should get. So I did. And it was a great game. In some ways, it was a little like Pikmin in that you have to control a lot of people at once, but a lot less stressful and a lot cooler and more action packed. You play as this group of secret superheroes called the Wonderful 100 (officially pronounced one-double-oh, not one hundred) who have to defeat alien invaders called G.E.A.T.H.J.E.R.K. who are led by their leader (duh) Jergingha, who, get this, is a planet. Yes, the main villain is a planet. Holy crap, trust me, this game has amazing amounts of fighting in massive ways that often seems ridiculously overpowered, but I don't care, because it stays amazing the whole way through. The main members of the Wonderful 100 that you play as (I forget the exact number, there's around seven but some other people join your team so there are about eleven or twelve main characters you get to play as altogether I think) have their own very unique weapon that they use to fight.

That sword is just... woah. 
The way you switch between characters is simple and fun. You just use the right control stick on the gamepad (or draw with your stylus, but I much prefer the control stick) the shape of the weapon you want to use, and you will automatically change to the character with that weapon. For example, with the main character, Wonder-Red, his power is the Wonder Hand, which is red and can turn wheels to open doors and such. Simply draw a circle shape with your stylus or right control stick to switch to him and activate his power. Another awesome part is that the weapon can get much, much bigger depending on how big you draw the shape. In the game, the shapes are created using individual members of the Wonderful 101, which means if any of your members have been hit by enemies and passed out, the shape you draw won't be able to be big and therefore the weapon will be small. You can try drawing the shapes as often as you want, as long as your Unite Morph bar has enough power to draw the shape. The biggest version of each weapon takes all 100 members but is massive. And, no spoilers, but there's a point later in the game where you get 200 members, so the weapons size limit you can have is just enormous. It's really fantastic. Plus I love the game's QTEs (Quick Time Events), which happens when you have to draw one of the shapes in a few seconds or you die. This usually happens during bosses and at certain points in levels, and it's great.

The more current members in your group, the bigger you can draw
the shape for each weapon, and therefore the bigger it can be.
You can add more people to your group (mostly citizens) as you
go through each level.
In fact, you know what? It has been absolutely ages since I did a list, so I think I'm going to do a list of all the weapons you can use in the game, along with the users, abilities, and so on. Expect it in the next few days to weeks. Also, I haven't forgotten about that list I talked about doing with all the magic spells in Layton V Wright, I just haven't had time with Top Ten Turnabouts and I have a lot of other stuff to talk about. I will totally be doing it though. Soon.

I now remember why I love TW101. Add that to the long list of games I really feel like replaying right now.

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment