Sunday 27 March 2016

Sonic Solved My Gaming Problem? (#163)

In the past few months, I haven't been gaming as much as I used to. It's been a bit depressing to be honest, since gaming is actually one of my favourite things to do in life, along with watching movies and TV shows and using the internet. However, I just haven't felt the desire to pick up one of my favourite games and start button-mashing. I don't know why; it's not really that I don't want to. I've tried picking out a game and starting to play it, but whenever I do I just don't get very far and I stop. It's sad because I haven't been enjoying something as much that usually makes me so happy. Luckily though, recently, I started replaying Sonic Classic Collection for the DS. It has four retro Sonic games: Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, all originally for the Sega Genesis. Sonic and Knuckles is like a part 2 of Sonic 3, and in SCC, you can play as Sonic 2 and Knuckles (you can play through Sonic 2 as Knuckles) and Sonic 3 and Knuckles (not only can you play through Sonic 3 as Knuckles, but since S&K is kind of a second part to Sonic 3, in S3&K, the levels are all combined so you can play through all the levels from both games in one playthrough. S3&K is my favourite one since it's so long and the levels are so good).

The back of the game box for Sonic Classic Collection.
Now, I also have a game for PC called Sonic Mega Collection, which has the same four games plus lots more old Sonic games (I think one of them might be Sonic CD but I can't say for sure). However, when I put the disc into my laptop, the game wasn't working, so for now I just decided to use an emulator to play on my laptop. But, I ordered Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube on the CeX website (great store btw if I haven't mentioned it before) and it should arrive in a few days. Then I'll be able to play my favourite retro games on my TV using a Gamecube controller (my favourite controller of all time, possibly. It's just fun to use).



The funny thing is, when I first got Sonic Classic Collection about 5+ years ago, I didn't really enjoy it at all. I think I wanted to get a different game instead (like Sonic Rush or something) and I didn't like these retro Sonic games, mainly because they were old and I found them boring I guess. But now, I love them. The levels are so fun to play, and the music is amazing compared to other 16-bit game tunes. In fact, there are rumours that Michael Jackson himself, who was actually a big Sonic fan, composed the music for Sonic 3. Some videos on YouTube have pointed out that if you play some of the level themes from Sonic 3 at the same time as some of MJ's own songs, they go together in a suspiciously perfect way. Just listen here, here, here, here and here (there are loads more on that guy's channel). I've downloaded a lot of them on my phone. Also, this guy on YouTube has made loads of classic/modern remixes (like in Sonic Generations) of the music from the games I mentioned above, plus more recent games like Sonic Rush, Sonic Unleased (the second Wii game I ever played, after New Super Mario Bros. Wii) and Sonic Adventure 2. Also, speaking of Sonic Rush, playing these older games has put me in the mood to play that and Sonic Rush Adventure again, since those were some of the first games I ever played so they are extremely nostalgic for me, and they're like modern sequels to Sonic 1, 2 and 3. Speaking of modern sequels, I got Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Part 1 on Steam three days ago. It's... okay, but the physics are nowhere near as good as the classic games. And also, I want to get Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 for Gamecube for my birthday, I've been wanting to play them for years but I never get around to it, but they're cheap at CeX.



Oh, and last thing, I actually drew some pictures of Sonic and other Sonic characters when I was younger that I still have in my bedroom. I'll post them on here sometime soon.

So I guess Sonic made me want to play games again. Just like when I was younger. Thanks, hedgehog.

If you ever doubt that I am an enormous Sonic nerd, just
know that I can name all of these characters.


Thomas

P.S: If you're wondering why no reaction post for Batman V Superman, I'll release one in the next week or so. It's just they take a lot of effort to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment