Sunday 24 July 2016

Sonic 25th: TWO NEW SONIC GAMES! (#210)

Two days ago, on the 22nd of July, Sega held a four hour livestream celebrating Sonic's 25th anniversary, as a tribute to the greatest hedgehog in gaming who has now been around for a quarter of a century. Sega have been hinting for a long time now that there would be some kind of major Sonic news in the livestream; I know because I follow them on Facebook and Twitter, and they post lots of memes. Seriously. However, I was unable to watch the livestream because I'm pretty sure the time that it started here in the UK was like midnight and I didn't want to stay until like 4am, so I just decided it would be best to wait until the next morning. Well I was so excited to find out that during the stream two new major Sonic games were announced, and they look so great!

First of all is Sonic Mania. It's basically a game in the style of the old Genesis Sonic games like Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD for the Sega CD. I think some famous zones from these games will be returning, as we can see a little of Green Hill Zone in the trailer, but there will also be completely new zones! I like to think that this will be the true Sonic 4. Not that the official Sonic 4 was that bad but I feel like the physics in that game were weird and this will be much more like the old games. There's also a new move called the drop dash. Sonic Mania will release Spring 2017 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. I'm planning to get a PS4 for Christmas so I can play Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and Kingdom Hearts 3, so I'm good. Check out the trailer here!



The second of the two games is simply titled Project Sonic 2017 as of right now. In the trailer, Sonic is standing in a burning city surrounded by massive robots which I'm assuming Dr Eggman is controlling (but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us?) and Sonic is about to be hit by falling debris when none other than Classic Sonic swoops in to save him! That's right! It's an actual sequel to Sonic Generations, one of my favourite Sonic games! We don't know much so far, but it looks like you'll be able to play as both again in their own levels unless maybe Sega could merge their gameplay and have them play together in levels? This game will release for PC, PS4, Xbox One and the Nintendo NX. Watch the trailer right here.



Also, although I'm not getting LEGO Dimensions, it was still awesome to see a trailer for Sonic's appearance in LEGO Dimensions! Click here to see.

Personally, I'm very excited for both new games because it seems that Sega finally know what us fans want in new Sonic games. I think I'm most excited for Project Sonic 2017 though.

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment